- Flashlights with extra batteries. Keep flashlights with extra, fresh batteries
- First aid kit / first aid skills.
- Water. Store a 3-day supply of water (one gallon per person per day).
- Keep in stock extra plastic bags and sheets of plastic. Plastic is essential to prevent important documents, paintings, equipment and furniture from getting wet.
- If you are away from home, remain where you are until the hurricane has passed. Many people have lost their lives trying to go from one place to another.
- Do not empty water stored in bathtubs or other receptacles until safe drinking water is restored.
- Boil all drinking water until you are sure that a safe water supply has been restored.
- Report all broken sewer or water mains directly to the parish council, the public works department or water resources authority for your area.
- Immediately after the hurricane don't use stored water for washing houses, cars and watering gardens until normal water services have been restored.
- Listen to the radio for information on what is happening.